As a bride to be I often find my mind drifting off to wedding land … THE dress, the flowers, the hair … even down to the shoes (and I’m not really a shoe person, believe it or not!) So recently we asked our lovely Bea to write up some top tips on how to make the most out of our vintage wedding fairs … and, well any wedding fair for that matter!
When the one you love pops the magic question the idea of crisp white linens, a fluffy, meringue wedding gown and the organ blazing out the Bridal chorus as you glide down the aisle might not send your heart racing! However, weddings these days live in the danger of being riddled with chocolate fountains, disco lights and a stream of tacky cars with the words ‘I DO’ sinking into what looks like a high school prom.
When designing your perfect wedding day you might wish for something new, blue and borrowed but definitely not borrowed ideas! Hunting to find inspiration and new ideas can be difficult and as you fall into your perfect fairy tale wedding day dream it becomes swamped with unwanted ideas from family members and complicated decisions to make (should you REALLY invite your great, great twice removed, step aunty? You get our gist!) So thoughts of the head turning dress, the fantastic reception and the expectations of a different, unique wedding for you and your guests slowly turns into mission impossible.
At our vintage wedding fairs we hope to deliver an experience which guides you to your ideal wedding, making your special day extra special. The vintage era is one of elegance, great romance, fabulous fashion and wonderful ideas. If you are passionate about adding your own personal touch or fancy exploring your creative flare for your perfect wedding day – then look no further!
Our vintage wedding fairs hold a parade of wonderfully creative, innovative and talented suppliers who breathe new life into the wedding fair industry. Our fairs hold fantastic opportunities to add that unique, vintage sparkle to your wedding day. Forget your standard, repetitive wedding fair experience and unleash your ideas and be inspired as you venture around our fairs! Filled with gorgeous vintage and creative suppliers, live music, hen do workshops, gent zones, VIP goody bags and much, much more! Explore vintage wedding ideas to a new imaginative level – think quirky arrivals, tasty new foods, charming champagne receptions topped with live buskers and exceptional bands when tying the knot! So save our dates and really experience the Britain Does Vintage Wedding Fair! Let yourself be enchanted by the vintage world of new wedding etiquette and discover everything you desire with our vintage and vintage inspired suppliers that emanate eras gone by.
So … dates for your diary:
19th October – Newcastle Theatre Royal
2nd November – Sheffield Cutlers Hall
9th November – York’s Merchant Adventurers’ Hall
My top ten tips to getting the most out of our vintage wedding fairs…
- Take your time … remember that suppliers have paid a lot of money to chat and exhibit their services to you. Although their stand may be filled with jam jars, bunting and rustic ladders … they most likely can also do contemporary and sleek mod! Ask lots of questions and don’t be afraid to get rough price guides!
- Be early … not only will you get the best goody bags and first dibs on the best sweeties around the fair, but suppliers will be free and ready to chat to you! Hitting the fairs an hour in can sometimes take a lot longer than being first in (or even last in) as this time tends to be the busiest!
- Our vintage wedding fairs will always have a vintage tearoom and somewhere to sit, relax and chat to family and friends about ideas away from suppliers! Often brides and grooms get inspired from different stands and suddenly decide to ditch their initial ideas and run with a whole new theme … take time in our tearooms to formulate this idea and then go back to the suppliers and chat further!
- DISCOUNTS … usually our suppliers offer ‘on the day’ bookings, so if you know what you’re looking for and find it you could well save yourself lots of dollar!
- Remember your cash folks … you may find that super cute bag or little trinkets! Our vintage wedding suppliers aren’t just exhibiting – they are SELLING too!
- All suppliers need a deposit to secure their services … if your wedding is getting close and they have your day free then consider paying a cash deposit so you can walk away knowing you’ve just bagged the supplier of your dreams!
- Remember to open up your minds … get involved in demonstrations, get crafty in our hen workshops and see if our suppliers can inspire you further!
- Social media is a great way of assessing suppliers before booking! Pick up business cards of those suppliers you may be interested in and find them on facebook, twitter AND make sure you check out their pinterest page as they may have lots of previous weddings uploaded here!
- Testimonials are always great to look at … ask suppliers at the fairs if they have any on their website/facebook page you can look at, most suppliers will bring them with them to the fair to show interested couples. Also, check their facebook page as often brides will post a public ‘thank you’!
- The chances are you’ve planned your trip to our vintage wedding fair weeks in advance with family or friends … so ENJOY it! Sample the free drinks, take a sweetie from the suppliers stands – (after all that’s what they’re there for), enjoy an afternoon tea whilst listening to an array of live bands, delve into your goody bags, chat through ideas … and just ENJOY the day! This isn’t just your big day … it’s your big year and you’re marrying the man of your dreams! ENJOY IT!
And there we have it folks, a big thank you to Bea for putting together such an in-depth guide … we hope this has helped and we look forward to seeing you very soon!
We’ll be back soon with more pre-loved inspiration and humbling stories! Alex and Sam x
(and of course Gina)